Menu Close Menu

Vehicle forfeiture: Another negative result from DWI/DUI charges.

Having to forfeit your vehicle can be a consequence if you are convicted of certain drunk driving offenses. However, Olson Defense can help you to contest the forfeiture and regain possession of your vehicle.

The State of Minnesota can initiate vehicle forfeiture proceedings against vehicles that have been used in connection with certain second degree and first degree DWI offenses, provided specific criteria are met. Although a driver views vehicle forfeitures as additional punishment (recognizing the financial ramifications), the United States Supreme Court as well as the Minnesota Supreme Court have found these laws constitutional. The forfeiture of a vehicle is deemed a “civil collateral” consequence of certain DWI violations.

A vehicle may be forfeited if:

  • A driver is convicted of a 1st degree or 2nd degree DWI; or
  • A driver violates Minn.Stat. §169A.20 (DWI statute) or an ordinance in conformity with it, and
  • The driver's license or driving privileges have been cancelled as inimical to public safety under section 171.04, subdivision 1, clause (10), and not reinstated; or
  • The driver's license is subject to restriction under section 171.09 (commissioner's license restrictions), which provides that the person may not use or consume any amount of alcohol or a controlled substance.

A driver whose vehicle is being forfeited does have options. You may be able to have the vehicle released from custody through surrendering the vehicle's title or posting a bond. If someone else was driving your vehicle, you may be able to get your vehicle back by asserting the innocent owner defense. Minnesota law allows for a driver to file a Petition for Judicial Determination to review the vehicle forfeiture. In order to be heard by a District Court judge, however, you must file the petition within 60 days of being served the notice of seizure and forfeiture. If you do not file within 60 days, you will be deemed to have waived your right to petition for judicial review.

Contact Olson Defense to learn more about your options with vehicle forfeiture and DWI / DUI charges.

Olson Defense, PLLC

Whether you need assistance evaluating your DWI or criminal case, guidance on a current situation or advice when the police are at your door, legal help is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

Contact Us Today

If you or a loved one is facing criminal charges or a DWI, contact Olson Defense. We are always glad to meet with you for a free consultation at our office, in the Twin Cities metro area, or any convenient location. If you find yourself in jail or any emergency situation, call Olson Defense before you talk to the police.

Olson Law Firm
8009 34th Ave S , Suite 1492
Bloomington, MN 55425
952-835-4660 (fax)
Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri: 08:30am - 05:00pm