Driving While Impaired: Test refusal is also a crime.

Just like any type of DWI / DUI violation, refusing to take a chemical test to determine your blood alcohol content (BAC) at the time of your arrest is a crime in the State of Minnesota and is treated as a separate criminal offense.

In order to be convicted for refusing to submit to a chemical test, the state must prove that:

  • Law Enforcement had probable cause to believe that someone drove, operated or was in physical control of a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or controlled substance,
  • Law Enforcement read the Minnesota Implied Consent Advisory to the suspected DWI offender,
  • The suspected DWI offender refused to submit to a chemical test.

Minnesota Implied Consent Advisory.
Law enforcement officials are required to read to any individual suspected of driving under the influence the Minnesota Implied Consent Advisory. This advisory is sometimes referred to as the breath test advisory. The Implied Consent Advisory contains the following information:

  • The officer suspects that you have driven, operated or been in physical control of a motor vehicle while under the influence (in violation of Minn. Stat. §169A.20),
  • The state requires you to take a test to determine your BAC,
  • Refusal to take a test is a crime,
  • Before submitting to a test you have a limited right to consult with an attorney,
  • The right to consult with an attorney is limited to a reasonable period of time,
  • If you fail to contact an attorney, or refuse to make a decision about testing or if the test is unreasonably delayed, then you could be charged with the refusal to submit to a chemical test.

Contact Olson Defense and learn more about your rights if you refused a DWI test or have been charged with test refusal.

Olson Defense, PLLC

Whether you need assistance evaluating your DWI or criminal case, guidance on a current situation or advice when the police are at your door, legal help is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

Contact Us Today

If you or a loved one is facing criminal charges or a DWI, contact Olson Defense. We are always glad to meet with you for a free consultation at our office, in the Twin Cities metro area, or any convenient location. If you find yourself in jail or any emergency situation, call Olson Defense before you talk to the police.